Announcement: April 4, 1999
Groundbreaking and Site Dedication: Oct. 24, 1999 by President Gordon B. Hinckley
Public Open House: May 6 –June 22, 2002
Dedication: June 27-30, 2002 by President Gordon B. Hinckley – 113th operating temple
Site: 3.3 acres.
Exterior Finish: Limestone block quarried in Russellville, Ala.
Ordinance Rooms: Four ordinance rooms (four-stage progressive) and six sealing.
Total Floor Area: 54,000 square feet.
The Nauvoo Illinois Temple stands on a high bluff overlooking a bend in the Mississippi River. The majestic building is a faithful reproduction of the original Nauvoo Temple built by Mormon settlers in the 1840s, dedicated on April 30, 1846 and destroyed by arson fire in 1848 and tornado-force winds in 1850. Featured on the grounds west of the temple is a statue depicting the Prophet Joseph Smith and his brother Hyrum Smith on horseback; both were martyred in Carthage Jail during construction of the original temple. Nauvoo is rich in Church history and the destination of thousands of tourists each year. The temple operates an accelerated summer schedule to accommodate demand. Summer is also the season of the popular Nauvoo Pageant, “A Tribute to... Read Full Story →